Tuesday 6 August 2013

Highs & Lows

Somebody once told me that the hardship that we experience in our life makes the us appreciate the good times even more. In most respects this is true but living through the lows still suck.

The last two weeks have been a roller coaster. Last week I went to Bali with my family! I had one of the best weeks of my life. I had the most awful cold when I went over there so there was lots of laying by the pool and eating scrumptious food while getting better. I even flew over business class. The whole trip was rather swellegant! It was a wonderful week away with three of my favorite people in the world!

Sadly to my high there must be a low. While I was away my Nana passed away. My Nana was a pretty spectacular person. During a youth she was a dancer and went around and entertained the troops during  the war. When she stopped dancing she decided to take up athletics and she competed all around the world. 

More importantly she was such a nice person. My Nana is not my biological Nana she is Pam's mum (Pam was my nanny for six years) Nana simply decided to adopt me as grandchild. For six years I would spend at least one afternoon a week with my wonderful Nana and Granddad. Nana was always trying to make you fat with delicious home cooked sweets and even when you simply couldn't have any more she would be wrapping up a little take away bag. She was one of the strongest people I have ever known. 

She was so determined and threw herself into everything with an absolute passion. I'm proud to be her granddaughter and I will miss her greatly. 

Tomorrow I will borrow a little of the strength that she instilled in me and face up to my tests with a smile. No matter what the outcome I can get through it. I can do it. 

Tomorrow I have to have a CT scan to see whether I will need radiation. One of the tumors may be too close to my vocal chords and I may need to have some palliative radiation to be able to keep my voice. 

My life is not an easy one but it is mine. I sometimes think I would love to trade lives with anyone but I wouldn't. I wish that I didn't have cancer but if I wasn't me then I wouldn't have all these amazing people in my life. My life may not be easy but it is one full of love and for that I am thankful.

Our Villa In Bali




 What I return home to!! 

 My wonderful Nana


RIP To my wonderful Nana & Granddad

1 comment:

  1. what an amazing woman- cor! I could never be that flexible :) I read 'The Fault in Our Stars' on holiday in Samoa- what an great book- as you said it is. Gave me a better understanding/comprehension/feeling...I don't know what, everything I guess. Thinking of you today xxx

    ReplyDelete